The Dance – Monday
In order of appearance:
- Mel & Maks: Quick Step; they performed a surprisingly elegant and entertaining quick step; I think they are still strong contenders. Judges score: 23
- Mark & Kym: Mambo; what Mark lacks in technique, he makes up for with enthusiasm and hard work; I’d like to see what he can accomplish with a few more weeks. Judges score: 18
- Wayne & Cheryl: Quick Step; Wayne may be a legend, but he really doesn’t have any dance talent; I’m personally hoping he’ll be gone tomorrow – it’s scary to look at a face that looks like it’s seen too much Botox. Judges score: 15
- Marie & Jonathan: Mambo; for an “older” Mormon mom, Marie certainly got her groove on; although she showed improvement, I don’t see her in the finals. Judges score: 24
- Albert & Anna: Quick Step; Albert dedicated the dance to his late grandfather, who was a good ballroom dancer; his grandfather would have been proud; he had great posture and has a lot of potential. Judges score: 21
- Helio & Julianne: Mambo; WOW; that was the word that jumped out of my mouth as I watched this pair; he may be a race car driver, but he’s a natural at dance, with lots of showmanship & a great, constant smile. Judges score: 27
- Jennie & Derek: Quick Step; this couple looked beautiful and danced gracefully until the last move – then oops, a mis-step and fall; without that fall, it was a well done routine. Judges score: 21
- Cameron & Edyta: Mambo; for such a good looking guy, he doesn’t look like he’s enjoying himself – he seems to be almost too hard on himself; I think he’ll do well if he can stop thinking and start dancing for fun. Judges score: 21
- Floyd & Karina: Quick Step; he’s a showman but he really doesn’t have the posture for ballroom dancing; he’ll have to work hard on posture and positioning to stay in the game. Judges score: 21
- Jayne & Tony: Mambo; she has the posture & elegance for ballroom but had more trouble with the sizzle you need for the Latin dances; there’s room for improvement. Judges score: 21
- Sabrina & Mark: Quick Step; wow & WOW; I think this girl will be the one to beat – she can do it all; ballroom & Latin seem to be equally well done, with showmanship and precision; Judges score: 26
The celebrities are really incredible this season, when you consider how good they look as a group in only the second week. I think in the end it will come down to a duel between Helio and Sabrina, but that’s only my humble opinion.
The Results – Tuesday
The show opened with the news that, just hours after the live competition, Jayne Seymour had received the news that her mother had died. She had immediately left for England to be with her family. Tom said she had originally decided to compete on the show because her mother found so much joy in the English version when she was ill. She decided to continue competing to honor her mother. So, she will be back.
The guest musician was Queen Latifa. I really enjoyed the songs she performed. During her first song, 2 pairs of ballroom champions danced the tango the way it should be done. We’ll see if the celebs can do it justice next week. Her second song was a special arrangement of the old Mamas & Papas classic “California Dreamin'” that was jazzy and sensual. During that song, Tony & Anna danced.
Jimmy Kimmel was back with his parking lot attendant Guillermo. They did an “informative” look at how the votes are tabulated. Instead of using a computer, the show employs “The Count” from Sesame Street to count the votes. I guess it keeps him busy and off the streets.
I find there is a bit too much “drama” in the lights and music as we wait to see who is safe and who is in the “bottom two.” I guess I’d prefer a little less of the “smoke and mirrors” and less time watching the couples sweat for no good reason.
We found out right at the top of the show that Jayne & Mark were safe. After all, she wasn’t there and they couldn’t make her sweat. A very relieved Mark & Kym found themselves safe early on. The “bottom two” turned out to be Wayne & Cheryl and Albert & Anna. After the interminable wait while we listened to that abominable music and watched those couples really sweat, I was in for my first shock and disappointment of the season.
Albert & Anna were eliminated. Albert, who has grace and the ability to dance is gone. Wayne, who couldn’t dance his way out of a paper bag, gets to stay. It’s that darned “Fan Base” rearing it’s very ugly head. Look people – just because you like Wayne singing and think he’s a showman, it’s doesn’t equate with dancing. He’s like me – old, out of shape and has no connection between the music and his feet. It’s sad to see someone with potential leave because his fan base is small while Mr Las Vegas gets to stay.
Them’s the breaks, I guess. I’m sure this won’t be the last time I complain about the wrong person getting to stay. But people . . .